Saturday, April 4, 2009

Community Supported Agriculture

I live in Bucks County, PA, and there is a farm nearby that offers Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) shares. I tried to get into the CSA last year, but I inquired too late and all of the shares were gone. The CSA requires participants to volunteer at least 4 hours of their time during the growing season, which might be an excellent way to gain some firsthand experience of organic growing. Plus, during last year's election cycle, I was lucky enough to make the acquaintance of a member of the board-of-directors, so it probably won't be too difficult to get permission to take pictures and interview some people.

I have to confess, part of the reason I am so drawn to this idea is because I could use a beautiful palette of green and brown, maybe with a little bit of orange thrown in. I love green and orange. Maybe something like this or this. I love these browns. After some time browsing colourlovers, I am beginning to think green and orange together is pass
é though. Also, orange is probably more appropriate for fall, and growth occurs during the spring and summer, so perhaps an accent color of pink or yellow would be better.

I've sent an email to the CSA organizers to see if there are any shares left, and I also said I'd like to volunteer even if there aren't shares left. Depending on what they say, this might be my project. I am still giving some thought to the idea of sewing, and possibly creating a site for people who are just starting to learn how to alter patterns either for fit, or style. One of the biggest drawbacks to that project would be the need to take pictures inside my apartment, which is almost always a really big mess. I don't really relish the idea of having to clean my apartment for class, although it would definitely provide me with some external motivation!

7 comments:

  1. If you really don't want to clean your apartment I could show you how to Photoshop-out the clutter. It would probably take longer than actually cleaning, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of focusing on sustainable agriculture. It definitely sounds interesting. If you are able to take pictures/do interviews, that really might an interesting idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think orange might work for a summer palette, given that oranges can grow during the summer. However, if you want a color which represents spring, I guess lavender would be more appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its great that you're taking this direction. If i had any background on the subject I would do something similar. I think it could be a great opportunity to give some very worthy recipients some attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Based on numerous conversations I've had with friends, CSAs are quite a hip topic (I wouldn't know - I eat mostly fast food, not having time to make/acquire much else). A seasonally changing colour palette would be kind of amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As more and more people begin to grow their own food or become members of CSAs, I think it would be great if you could create a resource guide for Philadelphians who want to get involved in sustainable agriculture or permaculture. I think most of the CSAs have their own websites, but if you could somehow build a central hub, I think it would be beneficial and original.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the timing works out for you so you can get a spot in the CSA. It sounds like a good topic for you since it is something you were trying to get involved in last year. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete