Thursday, April 9, 2009

Passing thought

I am contemplating the idea of using Science and Serendipity as a website topic. Accidental discoveries yielding great benefits, mistakes that turn out well, that sort of thing. I've been listening to Douglas Adams' The Salmon of Doubt while making the incredibly long and boring drive to my office for the last three days, and it turned me in this direction. The question is, what sort of personal contribution can I make to the discussion, beyond being incredibly inspired by it?

Some links that deal with the topic:

http://www.accessexcellence.org/AE/AEC/CC/chance.php

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF7/741.html

http://www.simonsingh.net/2002_Series.html

The one thing they have in common? They're not particulary visually appealing, except for the last one; it's kind of interesting but still incredibly reliant on text. Then again, it is science. Pretty pictures are not really a replacement for words.

1 comment:

  1. I think pretty pictures are a replacement for words - at least a thousand of them. You could take a fresh approach by being yourself, not a lab-coated science person. I personally love looking at science-type things...photos from microscopes showing...say...platelets? I have no idea what they are most of the time. Sites like www.mentalfloss.com and of course, boingboing.net both have fun/quirky/inspiring/interesting pieces on science that are totally approachable and not limited to the lab-coated, beaker-toting crowd. You might like to have a look through.

    ReplyDelete