Saturday, April 18, 2009

My conflicting feelings about color

I think I could happily spend hours spinning color wheels or hitting randomize on colorsontheweb.com or browsing through colourlovers.com. Ultimately though, am I just spinning my wheels? I've been copying the hex codes for some color combos that I like, but I have such a strong vision of what my homepage is going to look like that I think it will ultimately be pointless. Everything that I'm seeing in my head for the homepage is super-saturated, browns, reds, greens, oranges. But when I go "color-shopping" on these sites, I find myself drawn to palettes that are mostly monotone chromatic, with one contrasting color that pops.

So what I'm thinking right now is that my homepage will exist as this bright but earthy primarily visual page, and when you click the links (the veggies), it will take you to a subpage which is dominated by that particular veggie's color, but the subpage will rely mostly on a monotone chromatic scheme, which will be easier to read. I think Shaun was right when he pointed out in my comments that a lively color scheme will help me avoid the aura of pretentiousness that I'm worried about. I want it to look fun and inviting, and some of the "classier" color palettes that I've looked at will probably not convey that message.

I'm worried that I am too married to this idea now. From what I've seen of some of my friends' websites for this class, I fear that I am really being too ambitious where graphic design is involved. Plus, I'm worried that I am all show and no content. Here's the question of the day: Is it bad to be driven by your aesthetic rather than your content?

4 comments:

  1. I don't think it's a bad thing. Could your aesthetic inspire content. Do you want your site to be objective? If you can get your inspiration into words, I think the content will come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little concerned about color as well. I have a few ideas for my site, but I find that I get annoyed with certain colors after I while. I must resist the temptation to change the design of my site frequently. When it comes to website I find aesthetics almost as important as content because I won't even bother reading a site that looks horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aesthetic is a fine thing to be driven by! On your page I'd really love to see the green of a green pepper and gingerbread-brown soil. I imagine that'd be a little brighter (livelier?) than a regular dirt-brown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trust your instincts and follow the aesthetics. That background shot of the corn on the homepage is wonderful! It shows high production values.

    ReplyDelete